Thursday, July 12, 2007

Purpose & Introduction

For many years, I have studied herbal remedies. For the last several years, I have written informational articles about the health benefits of herbs for numerous websites. My goal here is to try to put it all together in one spot or rather "blogspot". I intend to provide links to other sites, particularly when the information that I can include here is incomplete.

I believe in "All Herbal Medicine", but I realize that conventional medicine has much to offer, as well. Nothing that I write here is meant to take the place of a doctor's advice.

Recent surveys have shown that one of the reasons people search for alternative treatments is because the price of "modern" treatment is out of their reach. It is sad that some people may not be able to afford the health care that they need.

Another reason for the interest in all herbal medicine and other forms of alternative treatments has to do with effectiveness and unwanted side effects. According to surveys published by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 28% of people who chose some form of alternative treatment did so because conventional treatments would not work.

Most prescription drugs are accompanied by unwanted side effects and when conditions are not life threatening, herbal remedies and dietary supplements typically offer a "kindler, gentler approach". I have personally read the testimonials of hundreds of people whose lives were improved through the use of herbs, botanicals and nutritional supplements. I also know people whose prognosis was poor, until they tried an alternative or complementary treatment plan.

This will likely be an extensive project, since there are thousands of herbs and botanicals in the "Earth Mother's Pharmacy". The best I can promise to readers is a new post every day or so.

Next post: Definitions

No comments: